I am disgusted to see yet another undercover investigation showing horrific animal abuse at a Butterball facility. This time, Butterball workers are shown mutilating baby turkeys without painkillers and tossing them into a macerating machine to be ground up alive. This kind of blatant cruelty for profit has got to stop! It is time to end the animal abuse that runs rampant at Butterball factory farms.
What's worse is that the suffering of Butterball turkeys starts with their breeding. While wild turkeys are majestic birds, known for their grace, speed, and wit, Butterball turkeys have been selectively bred to grow so large, so quickly, that many of them suffer from painful bone defects, hip joint lesions, crippling foot and leg deformities, and fatal heart attacks.
Clearly, Butterball can do better.
I urge you to begin alleviating the needless cruelty and suffering documented during the Mercy For Animals investigation by implementing meaningful animal welfare policies, including:
- Regular veterinary care for sick and injured birds
- An end to the genetic manipulation of turkeys to promote unnatural weight gain
- Provision of clean bedding, environmental enrichment, and access to sunlight for turkeys
- Installation of cameras in all Butterball facilities, live-streamed to the Internet
- An end to the cruel live-shackle slaughter method and adoption of a less cruel alternative
The animal abuse documented time and again at Butterball factory farms cannot be tolerated by a civilized society. It's crucial that you take immediate action to prevent this cruelty by implementing these modest, yet important, animal welfare improvements.